Rise Up and Hear: An Evening of Poetry Honoring Abraham Lincoln's Legacy
September 22, 2008
Portrait by Frederic Mizen. Courtesy of Lincoln Financial Foundation.
Sidney Yates Auditorium
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street NW,
Washington, DC 20240
Many know Lincoln for his speeches. Few know that he was also a poet. Recognizing Lincoln the poet, the ALBC, together with the National Endowment for the Arts and Poetry Foundation, presented an evening of poetry and music inspired by Lincoln's love for the art. Featuring a variety of well-known poets and actors, the program included readings of contemporary and classic poems inspired by our 16th president and his legacy of freedom, democracy and equality.
Special guests included:
- Actor Joan Allen
- Actor Sam Waterston
- ALBC Co-Chair Harold Holzer
- John Barr, Poetry Foundation president
- Robert Pinsky, U.S. Poet Laureate
- Shawntay Henry, the 2008 Poetry Out Loud National Champion
- Dana Gioia, poet and Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, who led the evening festivities
Read the complete list in the poetry event program.
Additional information on Lincoln and poetry at the Library of Congress.